Saturday, September 18, 2010

Culebra Revisited




Salinas harbour and Marina


Rob and Lauren Dehaan of Arita

Steve and Sue Penhey of Lose Change
We’re baaack! Anchored (on a DRNA free mooring ball behind Rob's head) to the left of the entrance and behind the reef at Ensenada Honda. After our stay in Salinas with all its nutrients Kūhela developed a moss and barnacle skirt. I know, all boats do this, but Kūhela does it twice. So I mask, fin and rub from the surface as low as I can go. Then get out the SCUBA regulator and the oil-less air compressor with 70’ hose and do the bottom ⅔rds. Oh woe is me having to “cut the grass” every month or so, unlike Florida in the day when it was every 4 days in the summer. That’s the price we cruisers have to pay to stay afloat. Oh, hum.


I went into the local post office and retrieved my very late (lost) birthday card from my dear friends Peggy and Jack in Titusville. Seems a very green iguana holding a frozen margarita is asking, “Got lime?” Inside it says, “Celebrate like the cold-blooded party animal you are! Happy Birthday.” Cute, huh?!?! All the rest of the cards seem to have been returned or are still lost. No, I don’t get it either.

The weather has been wonderful this past week, so on top of relocating to Culebra via Vieques we are going to make a 12 nm passage to Charlotte Amalie, USVI and St. Thomas. We might take a peek at the BVI in spite of their cruising permit fee, too. I was sorry we couldn’t stay longer at Vieques – just one night - but Linda is still hurting from the accident and didn’t want to bounce around the island on a motor bike or golf cart just yet. We’ll go back later when she’s better healed.

Although I’ve heard about it I have never seen (been near) someone who came down with a recurring bout of malaria. Rob Dehaan of Arita got his in New Guinea years ago and it’s come back. Poor guy is down for the count with all the classic symptoms. Thank God he has his beautiful wife, Lauren, to nurse him back to health. Too bad she spells her name wrong. Should be like me, “Loren”.

1 comment:

  1. Rob's feeling a little better every day. I have kept him hydrated but he sweats it right out. Necesitamos agua azul y buen viento. Have a good trip to the Virgins, especially the fat one. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete